A confident, enthusiastic and hardworking Chemist who is able to teach undergraduate and postgraduate students.Whilst at the same time, Barakat has a keen interest in professional development towards employment in the field of academic research. Possessing extensive knowledge of research, developing, having immense subject knowledge, enthusiasm and charisma, as well as a genuine interest in educating others.
|2007- 2010||Ph.D. in Organic Chemistry “ASYMMETRIC SYNTHESIS BY ENZYME AND SOFT LEWIS ACID CATALYSIS”.Politecnico di Milano, Milano, Italy.|
|2003-2004||Graduate courses in organic Chemistry. Department of Chemistry, Alexandria University, Alexandria, Egypt.|
|1998-2002||B.Sc.in Chemistry, Very good with honor. Department of Chemistry, Alexandria University,Alexandria, Egypt.|
|Feb. 2011- Present||Assistant Professor of Organic Chemistry, College of Science, Chemistry Department, King Saud University.|
|Sept. 2010-Jan. 2011||Lecturer of Organic Chemistry, Faculty of Pharmacy, Pharos University in Alexandria, Egypt.|
|Jan.2006-Dec.2006||Young researcher at University of Genoa, Genoa, Italy.|
|Oct. 2003-Dec. 2005||Lab specialist at the Department of Chemistry, Alexandria University, Egypt.|
Areas of research interest:
· Green Chemistry
· Development of new catalytic asymmetric methodologies.
· Development of new green synthetic methodologies for desired target molecule.
· Development and synthesis of chiral reagents, metal catalysts in asymmetric synthesis to synthesize novel bioactive compounds.
· Design and synthesis of heterocycle derivatives as potential pharmaceuticals in medicine.
· X-Ray diffraction for elucidation the chemical structures of organic compounds.
· Six years six months of research experience in the area of synthesis, spectral characterization and biological activity studies of organic compounds and heterocyclic compounds symmetrically and asymmetric methodologies.
Experimental and Technical Skills:
· Development of some new synthetic methodologies.
· Synthetic experience to work from milligram to gram scale
· Expertise in column purification over silica and neutral alumina
· Expertise in analysing spectroscopic data like FT-IR, (1H, 13C, 31P, 19F) NMR and Mass.
· Preliminary training course how to solve the structure by X-ray crystallography using SHELXS97.
· Identifying experimental problems and resolve them independently
· Capable of both collaborative and independent research.
· Knowledge of software: SciFinder, MS-Office, Open Office, End Notes, ChemDraw-Ultra, ISIS Draw, Chem. Sketch, Chemwindow, Mass Frontier, Origin and their application to chemistry
1. UV-Visible Spectrophotometer
2. IR- Spectrophotometer
3. Gas Chromatography
4. High Performance liquid chromatography (HPLC)
6. pH meter
· The 15th Asian Chemical Congress, Resorts World Sentosa, Singapore, Aug 19-23, 2013.
- 1st X-Ray Crystallography Workshop Presented By. Prof. Dr. Hoong-Kun Fun Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry College of Pharmacy, Riyadh, KSA, 23rd to 27th February 2013.
- ISCHIA ADVANCED SCHOOL OF ORGANIC CHEMISTRY, Ischia Island (Napoli) Italy, September 22 - 26, 2012
- International Conference of Young Chemists (ICYC), to be held in Amman- Jordan on April 8 - 10, 2012.
- Specialized Training Courses “NUCLEAR MAGNITIC RESONANCE “Presented By. Prof. Dr. M. IQBAL CHOUDHARY, Saudi Chemical Society, Chemistry Department, – KSU. 19-21, November 2011 in Riyadh.
- The Fourth International Chemistry Conference “Chemistry and its Role and Application in Development” 19-21, November 2011 in Riyadh – KSU.
- Essentials of research project management. King Saud University, Riyadh, May, 2011.
- The art of good research and how to make it happen. King Saud University, Riyadh, March, 2011.
- International symposium metal–catalyzed syntheses new ways forward for industrial processes). Accademia nationale dei lincei, fondazione “guido donegani” Roma, Italy, May, 2007.
- Organic chemistry “Target synthesis: challenges, strategies and methods” séminairehors-ville du 3éme cycle en chimie 2007 (CUSO-2007). Villars, Switzerland, Sept, 2007.
1. Chemistry of Natural Products.
2. Mechanism of Organic Reactions.
3. General Organic Chemistry for Health Sciences.
4. Organic Chemistry.
5. Undergraduate laboratory organic chemistry.
Dr. Assem Barakat, Ph.D.
Assistant Prof. Organic Chemistry
College of Sciences, Chemistry Department,
Building No.5, Lab: 2B-84
King Saud University, PO BOX 2455,
Riyadh, 11451, Saudi Arabia.
Tel:- +966537495937 - +96614675884
|ASSEM MAHMOUD ELSAYED BARAKAT CV.doc||119.5 KB|